With camp coming up, our greatest hope is that a friend will come to the point of beginning a relationship with Christ. Here is an outline you can use for yourself or to train others. The main part is PAST-PRESENT-FUTURE.
Here is an easy way to remember important parts of leading a friend to Christ:
Use a Bible if possible.
PAST – SIN
Our sin has separated us from a healthy relationship with God (Is 59:2), and because of our sin we feel deadly consequences on earth and forever (Rom 6:23).
PRESENT – PRAYER of TRUST AND YIELDING CONTROL
There are two important responses needed.
1. Do you trust Christ, this means belief and faith to the best of your ability (Eph 2:8-9).
2. Do you yield control of your life to Christ, this is repentance (Acts 20:21)
After discussing these you should pray together. Often it is best to say a pray yourself and then have your friend say in their own words that they want to become a Christian.
FUTURE – FOLLOWING CHRIST
From the inside-out God wants your life to look more and more like Jesus’. Learn more and obey, ask for forgiveness (repeat). (Phil 1:6, Col 2:6).
- Have them tell someone within 24 hours.
- Contact them within 24 hours.
- Bring them to a Bible study, small group or church within a week.
- Encourage them to be baptized at a church.